Tuesday 15 December 2009

Fundraising Research takes centre stage

Well, take a bow Lindsay Boswell. Following his resignation from the CASS advisory group he's calling for a think tank to try and innovate, set an agenda, and stimulate some useful fundraising research. Don't like to say I told you so (actully I do), but I did. In 2003 I published research showing we dramatically underinvest in marketing research. Compared to the commercial sector who spend up to four times what charities do, we generally invest less than 0.5% of income on useful marketing research.

Anyone who's heard any of my lectures knows this is a pet hobby horse. If we want help we've got to start helping ourselves. I'm looking at major donors, regular givers, baby boomers, legacy developement and good practice. But, even I can't do it all. Going to the Institute's meeting in February so please, please me and tell me what you think we need to be looking at.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter
    I think we need to be looking at several things that have almost immediate practical application (unlike the other CASS research which is much debated at the moment). My wish list would include:

    - how to successfully fundraise using social media (as many charities are too risk-averse and being left behind due to lack of 10 years of results before making a decision)

    - how to successfully convert donors to campaigners and vice versa

    - how to better engage with volunteers to make them stronger fundraisers (I have a theory around the concept of the fundraiserpreneur - copyright - which I'd be happy to chat through)

    - the benefits to medium and longer term fundraising of strong brand credibility

    - how charities can incorporate the best practices from the commercial world without compromising their principles

    On a linked note, I'd like to suggest that there should be more people involved with the I of F's meeting in February who aren't 'career fundraisers'. Fresh ideas are required and engaging people with broader experience is a good way of driving innovation. And yes, I'm volunteering.

    This is one thing the commercial sector does do well. Any strategic issue will invariably be discussed by people from a number of disciplines to try and develop the most rounded and effective solution.

    For those of us relatively new to the NFP sector (less than 5 years full-time) it can seem like a closed shop where ideas are stifled. Surely we need to stop saying "that's not how we do things in the charity sector".

    Let me know if I can help further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Kevin, some really interesting ideas especially around engagement. I think you're right to suggest that there are ways to move people on, just look at what Crisis are doing.

    I think you're also right in flagging up the dangers (as anywhere) of the not invented here syndrome. So perhaps the hard bit is scoping good research that will examine where charities are innovativing and produce ways of replicating that. I'll certainly raise these issues.

    ReplyDelete